Andreas Wiig Wins Second Straight Gold In Men's Slopestyle at Winter X Games 12Jan 27 2008 / Aspen, CO
Norwegian snowboarder Andreas Wiig put down a big first run in today’s Snowboard Slopestyle Men’s Final, and his 92.00 held strong as the rest of the field had trouble with the course.
Snowboarding superstar Shaun White started strong with an 83.33 on his first run – on a broken board, no less – but couldn’t best Wiig’s mark when he took to the course a second time.
It felt like déjà vu all over again: after all, at last year’s Winter X Games Slopestyle final, Wiig took gold, and White came away with the bronze.
Fading light on the course might have been a factor. Before White’s second run, five straight riders failed to finish their runs.
Wiig’s winning run included a cab 720 onto the box; a cab 900 off the Super Booter; and a frontside 1080 at the bottom jump.
“I’m glad to prove that last year just wasn’t one year,” Wiig said. “Shaun White is a really good rider, but today wasn’t his day.”
“I had a broken board and I still stuck my run, but the judges weren’t feeling it,” White said. “I’m ready to rip it [in tonight’s SuperPipe Men’s Elimination] – I’ll let the anger out over there.”
SNOWBOARD SLOPESTYLE MEN’S FINAL
Results from Aspen/Snowmass on Saturday, January 26, 2008
Name / Bib # / Hometown / Score
1. Andreas Wiig / 348 / Oslo, Norway / 92.00
2. Kevin Pearce / 343 / Norwich, Vt. / 88.33
3. Shaun White / 347 / Carlsbad, Calif. / 83.33
4. Eero Ettala / 333 / Helsinki, Finland / 82.66
5. Heikki Sorsa / 312 / Helsinki, Finland / 77.00
6. Chas Guldemond / 323 / Truckee, Calif. / 76.33
7. Mikkel Bang / 330 / Oslo, Norway / 68.66
8. Mason Aguirre / 300 / Mammoth, Calif. / 63.66
9. Mathieu Crepel / 331 / Anglet, France / 43.00
10. Jussi Oksanen / 342 / Encinitas, Calif. / 42.00