Daniel Dhers Wins BMX Park; Spinner SecondJun 28 2007 / Baltimore, MD
The contest format changed from last year's two individual runs to be a six-minute jam session with three riders at a time hitting the course. Dhers found himself in the final grouping alongside Dave Mirra and Allen Cooke and already knew he had to deliver to catch up with Spinner and his 92.67 score. He was able to do so with runs that included big flairs and tailwhips, including a 360 Double Tailwhip.
"I really thought that Spinner had it,” said Dhers. “I was really surprised by the results but, hey, I'm not complaining."
The new format appeared to be a hit with both riders and fans, with plenty of tricks being attempted. Some were successful, but others, like Zack Warden's 360 Bike Flip, didn't come to fruition even after multiple attempts. However, in the old format such chances weren't possible.
Spinner wowed the crowd with a crazy combination of tricks, including a failed 1080 at the end of his group's period, though perhaps not enough to elevate him above eventual third-place finisher 16-year-old Dennis Enarson, who was also in his grouping. Enarson came out charging with a huge series, including a triple tailwhip. However, the judges felt otherwise, scoring Spinner well ahead of Enarson.
Here are the final results:
1. Daniel Dhers, VEN, 93.17.
2. Michael Spinner, Oceanside, NY, 92.67.
3. Dennis Enarson, La Mesa, Calif., 90.67.
4. Gary Young, San Diego, Calif., 88.67.
5. Ryan Nyquist, Los Gatos, Calif., 88.50.
6. Allan Cooke, Martinez, Calif., 87,17.
7. Rob Darden, Concord, Calif., 87.00.
8. Mike Laird, Greenville, NC, 86.67.
9. Dave Mirra, Greenville, NC, 86.50.
10. Steven McCann, AUS, 86.50.
11. Craig Mast, Champion, OH, 85.67.
12. Zackery Warden, St. Louis, 82.00
Check out the full results from prelims here - Full BMX Park Results - 2007 Panasonic Open